Wish you all a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year !!!!


When fasting, Hindus can not eat anything containing cereals .My Mom,who fasted at least twice a week, used to make Halwa with either sweet potatoes or ordinary potatoes. It can be eaten at the time of Navratri fasting also.It tastes good and delicious with either.

Ingredients:

  • Boiled & Mashed Sweet Potato/Yam /Ratale: 2 Cups
  • Sugar: 1 Cup
  • Ghee: 1 tbsp
  • Chopped Cashewnuts & Raisins


    Method:

1) Boil Sweet potatoes with their skin in pressure cooker or Sweet potatoes can also be boiled in a microwave.
2) When cool, peel and mash sweet potatoes.
3) Heat ghee in a Pan. Fry cashewnuts till they become golden brown. Then add raisins & fry for few seconds.
4) Heat 1/2 tsp ghee in a pan and then add mashed sweet potatoes & fry well.
5) Cook till ghee starts oozing out.
6) Add sugar & Mix well and cook for 5 more minutes.
7) Remove from heat and garnish with rasins and fried cashewnuts.
Your yummy sweet potato halwa is ready to eat.

    18 Comments:

    1. Cham said...
      Such a delicious and tasty sweet
      chef and her kitchen said...
      Never made halwas with it..looks yummy n colorful
      Sailaja Damodaran said...
      tempting....
      Jeyashris Kitchen said...
      nice and new recipe.We make curry with swet potato by adiing jaggery to it. This looks yum.
      Abhilash said...
      halva... tae ravecha ya potato cha ho... sagada type la halva mala phar avadtos...

      ;)

      I hope I was able to make the words... oh! I almost forget marathi to write it...

      Your halva looks nice. I never had a halva made of potato. My favorite is Gajar ka halva that my mother prepares.

      umm... still I can experience the taste...

      and smell too...
      Priya Suresh said...
      Never thought of making out halwa with sweet potato, looks delicious..
      Palidor said...
      What a great idea to use sweet potato. Looks yummy!
      CurryLeaf said...
      Great looking halwa.I have heard about it,but never tried it .Hope you had a joyous Navarathri
      Gita Jaishankar said...
      The halwa looks yummy Sireesha :)
      Finla said...
      I didn't even know we could make halwa like this, looks yummy sweety and love the colour.
      Nithya said...
      This is tempting. I love halwas always. :)
      kamalabhoopathy said...
      lovely dish
      Khaugiri said...
      MAST distoy halwa!!!!
      Unknown said...
      wow I make payasam with sweet potato but halwa is new to me looks so delicious will try and let you know.
      Parita said...
      something new to me:)
      Sushma Mallya said...
      Different but seems delicious sireesha...looking yum with that orange colour
      my kitchen said...
      I never tried halwa in sweet potato. i will try soon.Delicious one.
      Valarmathi Sanjeev said...
      Never made halwas with potato, looks yummy

    Post a Comment



    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...