Wish you all a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year !!!!


Pappula Podi is a famous Andhra preparation. In some parts of Andhra this is also called "Gunpowder". This is one powder which my mom not prepares but a staple powder in my husband's family. This is very simple to prepare among all the spicy powders. Just pop the ingredients into the mixer / blender and grind. No frying involved.This Powder is very versatile.


Recipe Source :- Veggie Platter


The following are the most common ways we can enjoy the Pappula Podi:


1. Add a tablespoon of Podi to fistful of cooked rice. Add a teaspoon of ghee. Mix and eat.
2. You can eat it mixing with rice, ghee and pickles like avakaya, gongura etc.
3. Eat it with upma, the thing I learnt from my husband.
4. To thicken gojjus.



Ingredients:-

1 cup - Pappulu (Daliya)
8 - dried red chillies, Indian variety
4 tbsp- grated coconut or dried coconut small pieces
1 tbsp - cumin
½ tsp - salt or to taste
8 garlic cloves


Pappula Podi


Method:-


Take pappulu, chillies, coconut, cumin, garlic and salt in a clean and dry mixer jar or food processor. Grind to fine powder. This is a dry preparation and do not add water. Store the powder in a clean, dry, airtight container. This will stay fresh as long as it remains dry.

25 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    wahh looks so perfect all time fav at my place
    Divya said...
    this paruppu podi is new to me...sireesha....really a spicy one....wonderful recipe
    Kitchen Chronicles said...
    Delicious Paruppu podi and nice presentation.
    Unknown said...
    wow... nice entry... Adding coconut new 2 me.. will try it soon...
    Unknown said...
    wow..good one..good to know that it can be used for so many purposes..
    Raks said...
    Thanks for sharing such wonderful podi recipe !
    Finla said...
    Yumm it looks so yumm.
    AnuSriram said...
    Thats easy to make... Multi-purpose powder to be kept handy!
    Priya Suresh said...
    Adding coconut is completely new for me...tempting podi...
    Deepthi Shankar said...
    wow .. thatz indeed versatile .. looks yumm
    Vijitha said...
    My fav podi. Looks lovely n perfect colour!
    Really sorry for not acknowledging the award you gave me a month ago. Life had been really crazy and I am yet to settle down with my routine.

    With the little time I managed to get, I published a post and I have something waiting for you in my blog!
    Cham said...
    I don't add cumin and garlic, sounds very aromatic, I should note it down ur version!
    Unknown said...
    Have never prepared these podis at home.Amma always prepares them..Sounds delicious with coconut.
    mitr_bayarea said...
    I love paruppu podi, but, have always used the one that we buy at Grand sweets when we visit India or the one that patti makes.
    anudivya said...
    Hey nice, also called as gunpowder? He he he, that is cute.
    Ramya Vijaykumar said...
    We have a friend who comes home and searches the pantry for podi... I ask my mom and make idly podi this is great hope our friend likes it... I totally enjoyed your post...
    Usha said...
    This sounds really cool...so you do not need to dry roast the coconut or garlic is it before grinding it?
    kamala said...
    My kids love Paruppu podi..so yumm
    Uma said...
    exactly the same way I make it. And all those uses of this podi, I follow those too! Same pinch! I can smell the aroma from the picture Sireesha! Good one.
    miss v said...
    yum! i'll have to try this!
    Vikis Kitchen said...
    I am always looking for this recipe and gotcha!!!
    Eager to make it immediately.Nice snaps too.
    Bhawana said...
    Wow Sireesha this looks so lovely :). nice one.
    Sujatha said...
    New recipe to me Sireesha! never tried with roasted chana dal and cocnut.. looks awesome and yummmy!
    lubnakarim06 said...
    Wow this is simple and easy to make. Once I saw this in Udipi hotel. Thanks for the simple and easy recipe.
    Anonymous said...
    hey i tried it and it tates very raw and channa is what we should use or toordhal? is it raw grinded or we have to roast them?

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...