Wish you all a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year !!!!


I have been craving something sweet for some time now. Something simple, something comforting and suddenly some guests visited us this weekend. I finally settled on semiya payasam for my sweet tooth and for guests.

Payasam or payesh is a traditional Indian sweet where rice is cooked in milk till it yields a rich and creamy texture. Two distinct kinds of payesh are ingrained in my food memories. One made with fresh nolen gud (palm juice jaggery) and the other made with saffron which has a delicate aroma and rich, golden color. Since there was no nolen gud, I made the vermicelli payasam with saffron.



Ingredients:


2 cups roasted vermicelli - broken
4-5 cups milk
1/5 tspoon saffron stands (mixed in warm milk)
12 Cashewnuts
12 Raisins
5 cardamoms
Nutmeg Powder
2 cups Sugar

Method:

  1. Heat a pan.Add 1 tsp of ghee.
  2. When it is heated,add raisins and stir them until it becomes round like a ball.
  3. Remove immediately to a plate.now add cashew nuts and stir till it turns golden.
  4. Remove to the plate.
  5. Add one more tsp of ghee.Add vermicelli and stir slowly till it becomes golden color. Keep aside.
  6. Boil milk in a vessel.
  7. Stir frequently.
  8. Add sugar and cardamom and nutmeg Powder.
  9. Continue stirring. Bring to a boil.
  10. Now add vermicelli, and stir once again until it boils.
  11. Remove from heat and keep the lid closed for sometime (1/2 an hour).
  12. See that the vermicelli is cooked.
  13. Now garnish with cashew, raisins and saffron.
  14. This can be served hot.If you want it cold,let it cool and refrigerate it.Whenever required,add milk and sugar as desired,stir and serve.

20 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    wow.... mouth watering recipe... looks yummy & amazing... nice entry...
    Unknown said...
    mmm semiya payasam looks very c reamy yemiti vishayam subhavartalu yemannavunnaya
    Laavanya said...
    This used to be my favorite payasam growing up.. Looks good Sireesha.
    Purva Desai said...
    I ve always liked vermicelli payasam.....its really looking rich

    hey check out the blog for fun filled ''Festive Food' event
    notyet100 said...
    looks yum...nd creamy too,..
    EC said...
    Oh wow...my fav payasam, looks yummy, can I take the bowl from there pls ??
    Unknown said...
    nice one looks delicious..i had this today at my friends place!!
    Indian Khana said...
    Looking at the payasam...am having my sweet cravings now :(....seems liked I have missed few post in Ur blog..need to catch up :)
    Jaishree Iyer said...
    Your semiya payasam is mouth watering.. and tempting.gud entry.
    Cham said...
    Yes, payasam is a great to treat some sudden guests :) Good one!
    Madhavi said...
    Yummy Yummy payasam, look delicious and photo is also very tempting!!!
    Deepthi Shankar said...
    i too love this payasam .. very simple n yet soo tasty
    Uma said...
    Semiya payasam chala chala baagundi Sireesha! Now you have inspired me to prepare it.
    Srikitchen said...
    its my favourite payasam! pics are tempting me to eat! mouth drooling recipe!
    Announced an event in my blog! check it out!
    Dibs said...
    Hi Sireesha, Yet another gold card waitng for you at my site!
    Teresa Cordero Cordell said...
    Sireesha, what a fascinating take on rice pudding. You are so creative. I love it when foodies credit their moms or grandmoms with the learning of our passions in cooking. And you live in Paris, how cool is that?! Thank you for sharing your recipe. And congratulations on the BFF award from Dibs.
    Sum Raj said...
    how can anyone forget our traditional dessset cool payasam..looks fabulous..
    Shreya said...
    looks perfect, sireesha. Love semiya payasam anyday. I normally do not add nutmeg powder. Will try next time I make it:-)
    A_and_N said...
    M favorite paayasam and I LOVE it hot :)
    Unknown said...
    thank you sireesha vote chesinanduku

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...